First of all, there are some rules for keeping candles safe, and what are they? Let's go over some very simple rules that most of us already know but maybe we can refresh some things for you and you can enjoy yourself with confidence
Never ever leave a candle burning unattended! Why?
Because of all the reasons you will read below can happen without your knowledge and harm you, your property and others and it can certainly hurt people and animals! candles are pretty but can really harm, You may be able to think of some examples of beautiful and harmful things you have met
When you choose to enjoy a burning fire in a container with boiling liquid you have to take responsibility
Here are some basic rules of use to apply
Light the candle on a heat resistant surface!
What is a heat resistant surface? Any utensils made of heat-resistant and non-flammable material, such as ceramics (clay), glass, cement, sand and any steel or metal and any fire resistant item specified as non-flammable
What flammable utensils and materials you should not leave the candle burning on and near to? Any utensils or surface made of: paper, wood, any kind of cloth, disposable dishes, plastic, bags, wires, wicks, lighters and matches, any spray bottle, books and Magazines, Blankets, Bedding and Cushions, never live your candles near Alcohol and fuel! Never burn your candle in the car.
Ask yourself, "can a small touch of fire ignite this____?"
If the answer is yes/maybe/I don’t know – keep your candle away It is better to be extra careful
Also very important, keep out of reach of children and pets! You don't want them to burn their fingers and tails - in the best case scenario
It is recommended to trim the wick to 1\4'' before lighting the candle, why?
There are a number of reasons why this is recommended, the first is when you cut the wick, its burning lifetime increases, its flame is smaller and thus retained for longer, and the other reason is to reduce black soot from getting inside the candle and into the air- black smoke, The primary cause of black smoke is an overly long wick. When a candle burns, the wax near the flame melts and the liquid wax is pulled up the wick to feed the flame. If the wick is too long, the balance of heat and fuel will be off. This throws off the chemical reaction and can produce excess soot and smoke. Trimming wicks to between 1/8 inch and 1/4 inch before you light the candle is the easiest way to prevent black smoke and soot in the air and in your candle
*conclusion*a long wick burns faster and emits black smoke, a short wick feeds off the wax and burns more slowly
- I trim the wick but I still see black smoke
There are a few materials from which the wicks are made, And some of these materials can create black smoke even if the wick is short, Notice, when the candle is burning, Does black smoke emit from it? If so your candle is probably made of non-natural materials and it is advisable not to breathe it or dissolve it in the air. It also can happen because your candle is old and not freshly made. We recommend using natural soy wax candles with cotton wicks
Do not leave the candle lit for more than 4 hours straight, why?
There are a number of reasons for this action, one of them is to preserve the wax and increase the use of candle's lifetime and prevent damage for the candle container
- How can the candle be damaged?
A lit burning candle in a container will get hotter and hotter as it burns. The longer it burns the hotter the system will get. As long as solid wax is present it’s melting will cool the system but as the candle nears the bottom all the wax will be melted and the temperature will rise steadily. If it burns long hours straight the wax gets extra hot, and the wax can easily ignite and burn like a pool of gasoline, it will flare up and burn much higher than the wick, possibly catching nearby flammable materials on fire. In a glass container sometimes the glass will break due to uneven heat stress, and flaming liquid will pour out over the tabletop, Even if the glass candle does not break it can scorch the tabletop. Remember when someone place a hot pan on a table and lives the surface with unpretty marks? Then imagine that overheating the candle might do the same
How can I use my candle for 8 hours straight?
There are some things that can happen which better to avoid
- Your container will be extra hot
- If it is a glass holder - it can break from the overheat
- You will lose from your total lifetime usage of the wax
- The wax can get ignite from being extra hot
We recommend lighting another candle after the first candle usage time is over
How to extend my burning candle lifetime?
As we light our candle, a warm wax pool begins to form, and as the wick burns out, the hot wax dissipates in the air and disappears from the vessel, and the result is much less wax to use next time.
When the wax is hot it is easier for the hot wax to dissipates, like if you boil water for too long, it evaporates.
If we extinguish the candle after 3 to 5 hours of use, the melted wax will harden and we can use again the same amount that remains and we will not run out of candle too fast.
"Extinguish the candle when you see the bottom of the container"
(about an inch before the end of the wax), as long as solid wax is present it’s melting will cool the system but as the candle nears the bottom all the wax will be melted and the temperature will rise steadily. It can damage the candle container or overheat it.
“I get a new candle but I do not want to burn it now”
If you don’t use your candle right away, it is best and recommended to keep the candle in a shady and dry place, exposure to the sun and a warm place can change the color of the candle and evaporate the fragrance faster, so if you decide to keep the candle afterwards and if you have the option, try closing the candle as hermetically as possible- usually, that way you can keep the fragrance even when you light the candle after six months of non use
Burn candles with responsibly